Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How To Train for a 50k

Actually, the title of this post should be "How to Train for a 50k?"

With 3 1/2 weeks to go until my first 50k I just now, as in, uh, five seconds ago, realized I have no idea how I am supposed to be training. For road marathons I spend hours coming up with an exact training schedule with tempo runs, track workouts with explicit rules and spits and long runs that I refuse to deviate from.

A 50k trail race, though? I've basically just been running. A lot. Before work, after work. Both. I am either getting ready to run, running, showering after a run or doing laundry thanks to the piles of nasty running clothing I seem to be producing by the ton. I am hoping to hit between 55 and 60 miles this week and then gradually work my way back down until it's time to race.

So far I've been liking the training. I generally run alone in the park but thanks to a recent attack on a woman I've had company for all of my trail runs. Having people to chat with and/or to push the effort is doing wonders for my mental health and my pace. Go figure.

I've been doing one or two road runs a week at what feels like a 10k pace in attempt to keep a bit of speed in my legs but otherwise I have no plan other than to get up early and run. And if the real world doesn't get in the way run again after work. And to avoid booboos and over-use injuries along the way.

Anyone else have any 50k experience or have any ideas of what I should be doing for my last few weeks of training? 

Unrelated: I am addicted to this game. Best worst timesuck ever.

1 comment:

Mallory said...

I don't have any advice but wanted to say good luck!!!