Sunday, May 15, 2011

I Need a Calendar

I am going to ask Santa to bring me a calendar for Christmas this year. Not only am I still dating checks and documentation for work with 2010 (yeah, I know 2011 is almost half-way over) but I screwed my timing up a bit for my long runs in preparation for the North Face Challenge 50k on June 4.

I thought the race was two weeks away. I generally start to taper about two weeks before a road marathon and, since I don't really know anything about training for a 50k trail run, I figured I'd do the same thing.

Thus, yesterday I woke up at the crack (6:30 on a Saturday) for a five-hour run. I jogged over to my friend Dave's house and we (and his Vibram Five Fingers that he loves so) did a two-hour loop that included me running through a patch of poison ivy. After dropping him off and taking a quick break to use his magic poison ivy soap in hopes of avoiding days of itching and scratching I headed back out for three more hours. I actually enjoyed myself, never felt entirely terrible and only had to rely on the iPod for the last 45 minutes or so.

"Only two weeks until the race," I thought as I flopped into the front door, dirty, hungry and running late for a wedding. I contemplated not showering and then decided that would be the rudest thing of all time. As I rushed to get ready I was glad that the long runs had come to an end in prep for this race. We are headed to Atlanta for a few days at the end of this week for another wedding and the idea of a few days of easy runs on new ground made me smile.

Except I then realized that the 50k is, in fact, three weeks away instead of two.

Whoops. I do sometimes show up to races early but a week for an out-of-town race would have been extra absurd.

Anyone know of a nice 20-mile running route in Atlanta? The place where we are staying advertises "miles of hiking and running trails" but in actuality the trail is only 1.25 miles long. The idea of running that 17 times makes me want to weep.

Coming soon: What happened last week when my cat decided to love the great outdoors by fleeing out the door.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be utterly lost without my calendar. I can't remember a thing unless it's written down. Can you please jog a 20-miler for me too? This marathon business is killing me. And it's not going too well...

Abby said...

I was supposed to go to a bridal shower directly after the race yesterday. But the showers weren't working at Promised Land, and I thought it would be bad form to show up with 24 hours worth of mud and muck on me.

Mallory said...

Oh my!! I use my calendar ALL the time. I always need to know where I am supposed to be and when!!

Running Ricig said...

You really do need a calendar and probably sooner than christmas!!

and here's to hoping the poison ivy didn't stick!

Anonymous said...

You raise an good question - what is considered "miles"? More than 1 (i.e. 1.25) or at least 2...hmmm...?

As you can see, I'm pretty behind. Sorry about that.