Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Yurt Sweet Yurt

Sometimes finding the right place to stay for adventure races can be a bit of a challenge. You need to be able to at least attempt a good night's sleep before a race and you need a cozy place to crash afterward that you and your muddy, wet gear won't completely trash.

We've camped, we've stayed in expensive hotels, we've stayed in cheap motels, we've stayed in cabins. We've showed up for the start in the morning, raced through the night and hopped in the car for home from the finish line.

But our sweetest arrangement so far, I think, was the yurt we stayed in for last weekend's Yough Extreme. A hundred bucks for the weekend. Room for a camp fire. A fridge. A stove. Five beds. A heater. No running water but it was just a few yards from showers.

And we didn't feel like jerks dragging in our nasty stuff post-race.

I wish my actual home was circular.

Yurts make Bill happy.

We made ourselves at home by throwing
our gear all around.
A yurt is also a good place to draw on maps with highlighters.



4 comments:

Mallory said...

Haha that's so cool! I've never seen one of those before!

Abby said...

Digging the interior lattice work.

Elizabeth said...

I really like that seems perfect.

Laurie said...

The lattice and some tension cables held the whole thing up. I am half-convinced I could build my own with some effort.